Bernstein Bros. have moved into their spacious new quarters on the corner of Howard and Market Streets, where they are ready to extend their friends and customers a most cordial greeting. Call and see them.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, March 15, 1895
Mr. Samuel J. Stein will open a complete stock of clothing, gents furnishing, goods, etc., in the storehouse formerly occupied by Bernstein Bros. on the northwest corner of Howard and Market streets about October 1st. He will leave for Chicago and other markets next week to buy his stock and the public may expect a great many new and attractive novelties when his goods arrive. Messrs. Laz and Abe Bernstein will be in charge of the business as salesmen and their experience in handling such goods is too well known to the people of Greenwood and Leflore County for special mention at our hands. The new firm will represent the leading merchant tailors and keep on hand a large assortment of samples from which selections may be made. Mr. Stein will let the readers of THE ENTERPRISE hear from him direct in a later issue, and his reputation for keeping nothing but strictly first-class articles for sale will be full maintained in his new business.
From The Enterprise, September 20, 1895
Messrs. Sam'l J. Stein and Laz Bernstein are in Chicago this week purchasing a large stock of clothing, gent's furnishings, etc. for Mr. Stein's new store, which will be open for business in a few days. The new house will be known as "The Famous".
From The Enterprise, September 27, 1895
The big store of L. Bernstein & Co., familiarly known as the "Famous", has been sold to the Lamar Allen Co., of Tunica, which will continue the business at its present location.
The Lamar Allen Co. will at once assume an important position in the commercial affairs of Greenwood. Mr. Lamar Allen, the head of the company, is one of the best merchants in the State, and has been for a long time desirous of obtaining a location in Greenwood. He is progressive and enterprising and THE COMMONWEALTH predicts that his splendid success in Tunica will be more than duplicated here.
Mr. Bernstein says that he expects to enter the wholesale trade, but he has not yet decided as to whether he will remain in Greenwood. The "Famous" has prospered under his management and he has many warm friends here who would regret to see him leave the city.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, January 9, 1904
The Stein Grocery Company has leased the building now occupied by the Lamar Allen Co. on the corner of Howard and Market streets and will move into its new quarters as soon as the building is vacated. The Stein Grocery Company has always been one of the largest and handsomest retail grocery stores in the State, and will be greatly enlarged and improved in its new location.
From The Commonwealth, April 9, 1904
The Stein Grocery Co. has moved into the storehouse on the northwest corner of Howard and Market streets. The building has been thoroughly renovated and repainted inside and is now one of the prettiest and largest exclusive grocery stores in Mississippi.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, July 1, 1904
The Wilson Banking Co. will open for business next Monday morning at 204 Howard Street, which will be the temporary quarters of this new financial institution. Within the next six months a handsome building will be erected expressly for this staunch concern, definite arrangements having been made to this effect. The Wilson Banking Co. has paid up capital of $25,000; Hon. G. A. Wilson is President and Mr. G. A. Wilson, Jr. is cashier. With strong financial backing, extensive banking experience and thorough business qualifications combined, the Wilson Banking Co. starts out with the absolute confidence of the public, and its success is assured.
We direct your attention to the advertisement of this new banking house in another column of this paper, and take pleasure in commencing the institution to those who are seeking a safe place to do their banking business.
From The Commonwealth, February 28, 1913
The Wilson Banking Co. has purchased the building now occupied by the Stein Gro. Co. and will shortly let the contract for the erection of a handsome home for their rapidly growing banking institution. The structure will be two stories, modern in every way and will be one of the handsomest buildings in the city.
Standing at the intersection of two of the most prominent business streets and being in the heart of the business district, the new building will improve the appearance of the city in addition to having a most favorable location.
The Wilson Banking Co. has only been in business for a few months, but under the guiding hand of Mr. G. A. Wilson, Sr., ably assisted by Messrs G. A. Wilson, Jr., and Calhoun Wilson, it has grown and prospered as has no other institution of its kind in the history of Greenwood and is numbered among the strongest banking concepts in the south.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, May 13, 1913
The Wilson Banking Company has purchased the building now occupied by the Stein Grocery Co. at the corner of Howard and Market Streets, and will within the next thirty days, begin the erection of a handsome two-story bank building on the same.
President Wilson informs The Commonwealth that this new structure will be completed and ready for occupancy by the Wilson banking Company by September 1st, and that it will be one of the most modern bank buildings in Mississippi.
A more desirable or valuable location could not have been secured for the domicile of this popular new banking institution, and we congratulate its owners upon their splendid purchase.
From The Commonwealth, May 23, 1913
Contractor F. R. McGeoy put a force of men to work Monday morning tearing down the one-story building formerly occupied by the Stein Grocery Co., at the corner of Howard and Market streets, preparatory to beginning the construction of the handsome new two-story home of the Wilson Banking Company. This splendid new banking house will be arranged and finished in the most modern and up-to-date style, and the second floor will be used for offices. The location is ideal; and the building will be completed and ready for occupancy not later than the first of next January.
From The Commonwealth, August 8, 1913
Wilson Banking Company are today announcing the completion of the enlargement of their bank building and the installation of new fixtures and safety deposit boxes in the new vault, and are extending a general invitation to the public to call and inspect the new quarters and convenience.
The building, which was constructed in 1913 and occupied by the Wilson Banking Company since its organization, has been doubled in size by an addition built on the north, making the building one of the most beautiful in the city. The interior of the bank and the fixtures are of marble, and the lobby furnishes accommodation for the customers of the bank. G. A. Wilson is president of the organization; Calhoun Wilson is vice- president; G. A. Wilson, Jr. is vice-president and cashier; F. R. McGeoy, Jr. and William Yandell, Jr. are tellers; G. L. Wright and J. R. Fergeson, Jr. are bookkeepers, and J. P. McGeoy and Douglas Vance are clerks.
Frank R. McGeoy, architect, who designed the original building, also designed the addition and supervised its construction.
From The Greenwood Daily Commonwealth, July 1, 1925
The Wilson Banking Company, established in 1913, failed to open its doors this morning, following a decision of the directors last night and the failure of the bank to complete its credit arrangements.
At the time of its last statement which was as of the close of business on September 30, the total resources of the bank was listed at $1,777,000, with deposits $841,459.25.
Mr. G. A. Wilson, Sr., chairman of the Board of Directors of the bank died on November 30, and in the statement of the directors issued today, it was said that inasmuch as his estate would not be available for assisting the bank for some months and that all credit arrangements had been made by him, the directors were unable to arrange for continuing in business.
The bank was turned over to the State Banking Department for liquidation.
The following statement was issued by the directors:
"Due to the unusual situation brought about by the death of Mr. G. A. Wilson, the Board of Directors has decided to close this bank for liquidation and has placed it in the hands of the State Banking Department. As Mr. Wilson had always arranged the credit for the bank, and as his estate will not be available for use in procuring credit for some months under State laws, after exhausting every means at our command of securing credit and having left nothing undone on our part to keep the bank operating, it has been decided that a liquidation is advisable. The liquidating agent will pay all depositors as rapidly as possible".
"If necessary, the heirs of Mr. Wilson intend to contribute liberally in assisting the liquidating agent in paying the depositors".
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, December 20, 1930