Greenwood's new wholesale grocery concern, the Leflore Grocer Company, the incorporators of which are Messrs. Morris Lewis, W. O. Barrett, Stephen L. Burwell and W. K. Gwin, all of Lexington, and W. P. Weaver, of this city, have leased the store on Carrollton Avenue formerly occupied by the Wilkinson Drug Co., and will in about ten days open for active business.
These quarters are merely temporary until their building can be erected on the site, which was purchased by the Leflore Grocer Company Thursday. The property of the City of Greenwood, and of Mrs. G. L. Ray, in the rear of Wade Hardware Company and east of Cotton Street has been purchased by this concern. The City of Greenwood will probably open Carrollton Avenue from Howard Street to Cotton Street, making a public street on the north of this property.
This is a most ideal location for this wholesale grocery concern, and the Commonwealth's reporter has been informed that as soon as the plans can be completed, the contract will be immediately let for the construction of their building, and the completion of same will be speedily rushed. One of the most modern buildings will be erected, and the Leflore Grocer Co. will spare no expense in making their warehouse and offices the most up-to-date possible.
Mr. W. P. Weaver, one of the incorporators, has accepted the management of the Leflore Grocer Co., and will give the business his personal attention. Mr. Weaver was for many years superintendent of the Greenwood Compress & Storage Company, until the establishment of the Weaver Grocer Co., which was lately absorbed by purchase by the Greenwood Grocer Company. Mr. Weaver is one of Leflore County's most substantial and successful businessmen and citizens, and his personal identification with and management of the business insures its success.
The Commonwealth joins our people in extending the Leflore Grocer Co. a cordial welcome to our wholesale jobbing circles, and in bespeaking for them a liberal share of the public patronage.
From The Commonwealth, February 11, 1916
Messrs. Humphries & McGinnis have been awarded the contract for the construction of the new $15,000 two-story brick building of the Leflore Grocer Co., on Fulton Street, near the C. E. Wright Ice & Coal Co. and the Southern Railway, and the work has already begun preparatory to laying the foundation of this splendid structure which will be 100x140 feet, and the contract provides for completion of the building within sixty days from date.
The home of the Leflore Grocer Co. will be modern and up-to-date for the proper handling of the wholesale business, and the owners are to be commended for giving preference to our home contractors in awarding the contract.
From The Commonwealth, February 25, 1916