Mrs. Una Howard has opened a private boarding house in the residence lately occupied by Mr. S. H. Selliger on corner of Main and Washington streets, Greenwood, Miss. Fare as good as country will afford, rooms comfortable.
From The Daily Flag, February 13, 1891
A society of The Elks will be organized in Greenwood at an early date. Elegant rooms will be arranged for the club to meet in, and other features of interest will be provided.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, October 18, 1895
Mrs. Reiman has rented the Selliger residence from J. L. Gillespie until October 8th next, and will move into same April 8th. Mrs. Reiman will be prepared to take care of her former patrons at this large and commodious house until her new hotel is completed. The Selliger house will be tastily repainted and otherwise improved, and the traveling public will find it a most desirable stopping place under Mrs. Reimans's management.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, March 19, 1897
Mrs. Reiman has moved into the Selliger residence and will open her hotel in that commodious house tomorrow, where she will be pleased to accommodate the public until her new hotel is completed. The drummers and the public generally will be pleased to know that the Reiman House is again ready for business.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, April 30, 1897
Mr. J. D. McLemore and family, of Memphis, have bought the Selliger residence from J. L. Gillespie and wife, and will move into same October 1st. THE ENTERPRISE extends this most excellent family a hearty welcome to Greenwood in advance of coming as they will prove a valuable acquisition to our progressive little city.
From The Enterprise, July 30, 1897
Greenwood Lodge No. 854, B. P. O. Elks have bought the old Selliger residence property and will convert same into a Home. This property is admirably located, and we congratulate the Elks upon acquiring same.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, January 22, 1904
Greenwood Elks' Lodge No. 854, B.P.O.E., has purchased the handsome John McLemore home at the corner of Washington and Main Streets. The purchase price was $6,000. The building will be completely remodeled and refurnished to meet the requirements of the lodge and when completed will be one of the handsomest club buildings in the state. It is estimated that the building, when completed, will represent an expenditure of not less than $15,000, and it will be a credit to Greenwood.
Greenwood Lodge No. 854 now has a membership of nearly 100. It has been organized less than a year and is conceded to be one of the foremost lodges of the state.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, January 23,1904.
The handsome McLemore residence, which was recently 3 purchased by Greenwood Elks, will be occupied by the lodge as a club building as soon as the necessary repairs and alterations can be made thereon.
From The Commonwealth, February 29, 1904
At a meeting of the Greenwood Lodge B.P.O.E., held at their new club building last night, the following officers were installed: W. M. Hamner, Exalted Ruler; W. S. Vardaman, Esteemed Leading Knight; C. W. Crockett, Esteemed Loyal Knight; G. B. Stewart, Secretary; R. H. Barrett, Trustee; S. S. Steele, Tiler.
There is not a more enthusiastic body of Elks in the State than Greenwood Lodge No. 854, which now has a membership of nearly one hundred. The new club building will soon be entirely completed and will be a very handsome and well-appointed home.
From The Commonwealth, April 16, 1904
Despite reports given out that the Elks Club had sold their present home on Washington Avenue, it was only last week that the sale was consummated, J. T. Dean purchasing it for $500.
Mr. Dean will move the building to some of his property near Carrollton Avenue as soon as he can be given possession, which will be the first of November.
Everything is in near readiness for the building of the new $25,000 home of the Elks Lodge, and H. L. Walden & Company, who have the contract for the building, state that their actual construction work upon same will start about the last week in this month.
During the period of construction, the Elks will probably secure quarters in the old Greenwood Hotel building, or some apartments as convenient, until they can occupy their new home.
Messrs. Walden & Co. have the contract for the opera house, too, which has already been started and will be erected on the lot just west of the Elks Club site, and they expect to place extra crews on these two buildings to effect their completion as soon as possible.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, October 4, 1912
The contractors have begun work preparatory to moving the old Elks Club building to the lot of Mr. R. W. Scales on Main St. As soon as the ground is cleared, construction work will be begun on the New Home for the Lodge.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, January 17, 1913
Traffic on Main and Washington streets has been blocked all this week by the old Elks home which is being moved to Mr. R. W. Scales lot on Main Street.
Saturday one week ago the contractor moved the house in the street and there it has sat all this week without a single hour's work being done towards moving the house and clearing the street.
Meanwhile, the streets are closed, the electric light wires down and the service impaired. Mr. Scales' family is occupying the residence in the street and their servant uses the crossing at Washington Street as a sewer in which to empty dish water.
None of the city officers seem to be doing anything toward having the house moved. Perhaps we'll be able to announce next month that the streets are open.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, February 14, 1913
Greenwood Lodge 854, B.P.O.E., will build a handsome $20,000 new home during the next few months. Samuel J. Stein, chairman of the committee, went to Memphis last week and negotiated a loan for $15,000 for the new structure, and bonds will be floated for the additional $5,000. Work will begin on the new home at an early date, and it will be one of the prettiest structures in the state.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, February 9,1912.
The contract for the building of the $26,000 Elk's Home was let yesterday to contractors, H.L. Walden and Company of this city. This magnificent new home will be one of the handsomest and most up-to-date structures in the state, and Messrs. Walden and Company, the capable contractors, will begin work on it's construction at an early date and will push it to rapid completion. The new building will be an ornament to the city.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, May 17, 1912.
The Elks have moved into the upstairs of the Stein hotel building on Howard Street, where they will be domiciled until the new home is erected. H. L. Walden & Co. has the contract for constructing the new home and will begin work on the building at once. It will be one of the handsomest structures of the kind in the State.
From The Commonwealth, November 22, 1912
The new home of the Elks Club, on which constructive work will be commenced at an early date, will be one of the handsomest, best appointed and most commodious buildings of its kind in the state. The plans accepted were drawn by Mr. R. H. Hunt of Chattanooga, who has designed most of Greenwood's public buildings, and all advance information that can be obtained tend to show that the present building will add to Mr. Hunt's already wide popularity.
The building is to be of brick and stone construction, with two stories and a basement half above the ground. A kitchen, boiler room, billiard room and shower bath will be provided, while the first floor will contain the reception halls, library and offices. The second floor will contain the lodge room fitted up with all the necessary paraphernalia for the use of members.
The exterior of the building will present a handsome appearance and will make the corner of Washington and Main one of the handsomest corners in the entire city.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, December 7, 1912
Contractors Humphries & McGinnis broke dirt last Monday morning for the construction of the magnificent new $30,000 Elks Home at the corner of Washington and Main streets.
This handsome new structure, when completed, will be one of the prettiest and most up-to-date Elks Homes in the State-being provided with all modern conveniences-and the members of Greenwood Lodge 854 are naturally very much elated over the fact that the contractors will complete and have ready for occupancy their new home within six months from this date. They also appreciate the kindness of Mr. Samuel J. Stein, who so generously negotiated the necessary loan, which made it possible to erect the elegant home for them.
The building committee is composed of Messrs. C. G. Nichols, Samuel J. Stein and T. J. Phillips, and having a first-class firm of contractors, an entirely satisfactory job is a foregone conclusion.
From The Commonwealth, April 18, 1913