The Wade-Hobbs Hardware Company has purchased the property on the west side of Howard Street and adjoining the Southern R. R. right of way and will erect their big warehouse thereon. This property has formerly been occupied by a lot of Negro shacks and shanties and has been an eyesore to the city. These are all being torn away and work on the new building will be commenced at once and rushed to completion as early as possible.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, August 6, 1909
The mammoth two-story building, which is to be the home of the Wade-Hobbs Hardware Company, is nearing completion. It is one of the largest buildings in Greenwood, having 70 feet front and 140 long. Situated near Southern Depot, it is a big addition to the town, for very few of Greenwood's big buildings can be seen from the train.
Construction manager Humphries expects to have the building ready for occupancy by the middle of October and just as soon as they can get the building, the company will be open for business.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, October 1, 1909
M.M. Bardwell is going to build a two-story brick building on the lot between Wade-Hobbs Hardware and the Fire Department on Howard Street. The Board has sold him a half interest in the South wall of the Fire Department for the sum of $273.00 and the further understanding that he is to extend the wall 30 feet back of the Fire Department and the city to have the right to use this extension at any time they see fit. Talk about your transformations, but just look at the change here. Four months ago, just a row of Negro shanties that would be an eyesore to any town and now when this building is completed, the Wade-Hobbs building will have already been completed, this will be one of the handsomest building blocks in the city.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, October 22, 1909