Super Soul Shop
Super Soul Shop
Work, which has been going forward for the past two weeks on the vacant lot beside the Post Office, has now reached such a satisfactory stage that Mr. J. F. Menees, owner of the real estate, and erector of the splendid building going up there, is well satisfied with the progress being made in the work and proud of the project.
The building will be of concrete and brick, facing 40 feet on Howard Street and running back east 80 feet. Special attention is being given to the foundation, which will be unusually strong. Present plans call for a one-story structure, but the foundation is being made strong enough to carry two or three stories and these will be added if occasion demands.
It will strictly be built as a store building and along lines of store constructions. It will be finished about September 1, and will be occupied by Mr. C. E. Fox, of Charleston, who will open a Clarence Saunders Store. Mr. Fox is well known in this section of Mississippi as a merchant, he having opened one of the first Clarence Saunders stores in the state at Charleston in March 1925.
At any rate, Mr. Fox will have a first-class, strong, and well-built house to move into.
Watch The Commonwealth for further announcements in regard to the opening of this store and other details.
The Greenwood Commonwealth, July 21, 1927
The splendid and commodious store buildings now being erected on Howard Street by J. F. Menees will greatly add to the appearance of the street as a whole, and especially to their particular section.
Three business houses compose the structure, one of which is almost ready for finishing touches. The center store is almost ready for occupancy by the Clarence Saunders store, which is to open in Greenwood between now, and January 1. The right hand store, on which work is in the final stages, is to be occupied by the Wilson Furniture Company.
Very little has been done on the left hand wing, which is reputed to be leased by a five and ten cent store. The steel girders are up, but actual construction has not begun as yet.
The front of the buildings will be white pressed brick, and will be highly ornamental and beautiful, while the rigid steel beams and concrete speak for sturdiness and durability.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, December 1, 1927
With music and bargains, the first Clarence Saunders Store to be opened in Greenwood will meet friends and customers Saturday morning at 9 o'clock. This long looked forward to event will attract one of the largest crowds ever to attend the opening of a store in Greenwood, it is believed.
Elaborate plans have been made by the management for the first day's business. In addition to the good jazz music features, an inspection of the handsome new building will be made by customers who want to look the place over. So much pride is taken in all the equipment and premises; the place will be thrown open to the public. Special attention will be invited to the electrical refrigerating system, the latest type storage boxes and meat counters. A recent patented device use on the refrigerators make them the latest out.
The building, just completed, is one of the best suited for a store that can be imagined, as it was built especially for the Saunders company. Ample storeroom space enables several carloads of stock to be carried. Operating the store, as resident managers are L. H. Harris and P. A. Derks, who along with C. E. Fox, are equal partners. They announced this morning everything was in readiness for an opening Saturday morning that will be long remembered in Greenwood. Formal announcement of opening day plans will be made in Friday's issue of the Commonwealth.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, December 15, 1927
The third store in the handsome group erected by J. F. Menees on Howard Street will be completed within the next two months, provided work can start within the next few weeks. The construction is being delayed by the lack of brick, which will not be available from the plant here for some days yet.
As soon as all the material is on hand, the last store will be rushed to completion. The steel work and some timber is already up, but common brick and two cars of face brick have not arrived yet. Just who will occupy this structure after it is finished has not been divulged yet.
Mr. Menees, contractor and log and lumber man, has moved into his new offices in the rear of his building. This office faces on the alley and is behind the Clarence Saunders Store. The office is attractively furnished and is light and roomy.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, March 8, 1928
Another story is being added to the uncompleted store in the group of buildings owned by J. F. Menees on Howard Street. Three store buildings are in the group, two of which have been completed and occupied for several months. The third is under construction now, and it is the plan of the owner and contractor to add a second floor to this part of his structure.
The second floor will be of construction like the lower story, of steel, concrete and attractive pressed brick. Work is going forward on the upper walls and the building will probably be completed within a month, unless work is delayed. Another story will set the entire group of buildings off to good advantage, and provide office space for many firms that are seeking attractive quarters.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, May 17, 1928
Brandes 5, 10, 25 and $1.00 Store has leased the ground floor of the new Menees Building now in the course of construction and will open for business in this city about October 1.
The new store is one of a fast growing chain of stores now operating in Tennessee and Kentucky and the Greenwood store marks the first of this firm in Mississippi.
The Greenwood store will be made into the biggest and best of the chain, and a splendid business is expected in this territory.
The new firm and Mr. Menees closed the lease for the building this morning, and the representatives of the firm are in Greenwood now working on the fixtures for the building. Mr. Menees plans to have the building ready for occupancy the latter part of this month.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, September 6, 1928
Brandes Five Cents To Five Dollars Store will be opened for business Thursday, October 11, according to an announcement being made tonight.
This new store is located in the new Menees Building on Howard Street, just south of the Post office and has one of the best locations in the city.
Brandes Store is one of a chain of Southern stores, and marks the entry of this concern into Mississippi. The Greenwood store is the largest of the chain, and is expected to be the forerunner of a large chain of similar stores in this state.
The store will handle no article with the price higher than five dollars, but will carry all lines from five cents up to that figure.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, October 9, 1928