Mr. Gus Ray, it is said, will erect three new brick stores on the east side of Howard Street, between Washington and Church. The small frame building recently occupied by Mrs. Cockrell as a boarding house has been purchased by Mr. E. V. Hughston, and it is being removed to make room for the new buildings. It is said that several other buildings are to erected on the same block, and it is probable that an arrangement may be made to build the entire block under the same contract.
From The Commonwealth, April 9, 1904
The contract for the two store buildings to be built for Mr. W. L. Ray on Howard Street has been awarded to Chenoweth Lumber Co.
These buildings will be far above the ordinary, comprising two handsome up-to-date storehouses, ornamental steel ceilings, plate glass fronts, prismatic transoms, etc. The second floor will be neatly finished with tile hearths and plumbing suitable for offices or private bedrooms.
From The Commonwealth, July 14, 1905
Mr. L. P. Quinn, of Water Valley, has leased one of the Ray buildings now in the course of construction on Howard Street and will open a general retail hardware business therein as soon as the same is completed, which will be about October 1st.
Mr. Quinn is a young man of splendid business qualifications and has had considerable experience in the hardware line. His stock will be complete and thebusiness will be given his personal attention.
The Commonwealth welcomes Mr. Quinn as a citizen and wishes for him much success from a business standpoint.
From The Commonwealth, July 28, 1905
The rapid growth of Greenwood continues. One of the latest additions to our numerous business institutions comes in the form of an up-to- date 10 cent store. This new concern will be under the personal management of Mr. G. A. Hoffman, who is an experienced business man, and who evidently decided that Greenwood is the best town for his line of business in the state.
We welcome Mr. Hoffman and his business to our city, and assure him that we shall lend him a helping hand. Greenwood has long been in need of a business concern of this class and we predict for it an assured success.
No article in this store will be sold for more than 25 cents, and you can find most any article you might need at an exceedingly low price.
This concern will be located in the Ray Building on Howard Street, and will open for business in about a week or ten days.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, February, 28, 1908
Mr. G. A. Hoffman, an enterprising businessman of Greenville, has leased the vacant house in the Ray Building on Howard Street, and is arranging to open an up-to-date ten-cent store in Greenwood within the next few days. No article will be sold in this new store for a greater price than 25 cents, and a large and attractive lot of first-class goods will be carried in stock. The Commonwealth welcomes Mr. Hoffman to Greenwood and bespeaks for him a liberal share of the public patronage.
From The Commonwealth, March 6, 1908
Brown's Bootery has moved its location from Market Street next door to the Daily Commonwealth, and is now located in the Ray Building on Howard Street at the former location of Hoffman's Five and Ten Cent Store. Moving was done last week and the Bootery is now ready to serve its customers in its new location.
From The Greenwood Daily Commonwealth, January 5, 1925
Angelo Vafino takes pleasure in announcing that he has leased the old store building formerly occupied by the Quinn Hardware Company on Howard Street for the purpose of converting it into one of the finest restaurants in the State.
Mr. Vafino has been serving Greenwood for 15 years, and all are pleased to learn that he is again to embark in business here.
Fixtures will be of the latest design and everything will be strictly high class. Accommodations for the ladies will be adequate.
Watch for further announcements of this restaurant and the date of opening day.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, July 11, 1927
Angelo Vafino will on opening day of his new café on Howard Street, award to Miss Bessie DeLoach, of Greenwood, $10.00 in gold, she having won that prize by suggesting to Mr. Vafino a name for the café. It will be known as the White House Café.
Besides Miss DeLoach, two other ladies chose that same name for the café, but Miss DeLoach's letter was the first to be received, and accordingly, she will be awarded the prize on opening day. Miss DeLoach is cordially invited to be present on that day, which will be announced in the Commonwealth.
The White House Café wishes to thank all of the other ladies who sent in suggestions for the naming of this new restaurant, and is sorry each and every one of the large number of contestants could not win.
Mr. Vafino wants to assure the people of Greenwood that his new White House Café will be a place of real service and quality food. Everything will be new, from fixtures to knives and forks.
As opening day has not yet been definitely decided, all are urged to watch the Commonwealth for announcement.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, August 4, 1927
The White House Café opened its doors promptly at 11 o'clock yesterday morning for business, with a profusion of cut flowers and pretty girl waitresses greeting the public with smiles and courtesies.
A beautiful musical program was rendered by Giardina's orchestra, after which Miss Bessie DeLoach, who last month suggested the name for the café, was awarded the $10.00 gold prize for bestowing upon the establishment the best liked name by the proprietors, Angelo Vafino and Jim Hargis. After receiving the prize, Miss DeLoach responded by bestowing a beautiful bouquet of flowers upon the management. Many other bouquets were given by other Greenwood citizens.
The Greenwood Kings' Daughters received quite a tidy sum to be used for charity work from the opening day's business. It had previously been decided by the management of the White House Café to donate 20 per cent of the proceeds to charity, and the money thus realized by the Kings' Daughters will be used for the purpose.
The new café, Greenwood's latest, has been under construction for the past two months, and the building, fixtures, etc., does credit both to Mr. Vafino and his contractors.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, September 16, 1927