Odd Fellows Cemetery
Odd Fellows Cemetery
Miss Irene L. Dunn was born and in Hinds County, Miss. After completing her education, she taught school for several terms in the same county. Two years ago, with her Mother and family, moved to Greenwood and has been engaged in some business ever since, has proven herself useful end efficient in whatever she has undertaken.
After a long and tedious illness of two months duration, in spite of all that could be done by faithful physicians and loving hands, she gradually grew worn until January 23th the end came. All who knew her best testify that she was a firm Christian character. For about five years she was a member of the Christian Church, to which she was faithful and loyal. She never murmured during her illness, but always upright and hopeful, with faith fixed upon Christ.
The goodly number who attended the funeral indicated the esteem in which she was held.
May God bless the Mother, brother and sister and may we all meet beyond the river.
From The Commonwealth, January 27, 1899
(This is the first person buried at Odd Fellows Cemetery, Greenwood, Mississippi)
Our lodge is now in fine working order, having about forty active members and new ones coming in and old ones being reinstated. Following the injunction of Odd Fellowship to "bury the dead", our lodge, recognizing the need of our little city for a suitable place in which our citizens may lay those who are near and dear to them when the fell destroyer has claimed them for his own, has purchased a beautiful tract of ten acres, which we have about plotted, and which will be known as the Odd Fellows Cemetery. It is our intention to adorn and beautify this until it will not only be our pride, but an ornament to our city.
From The Commonwealth, May 5, 1899
The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Arch Peteet died on the 30th at Yazoo City. Mrs. Peteet was visiting there when the little one was taken sick, from which it never recovered. The little remains arrived in the city Sunday morning and that afternoon was interred in the city cemetery. Rev. S. L. Reeves and J. H. Mitchell conducted the services. The Commonwealth extends sympathy to the parents and kindred in their sad hour of bereavement.
From The Commonwealth, July 14, 1899
Greenwood is to have one of the best kept and most beautiful cemeteries in the South, according to plans which are under way by the Odd Fellows Lodge to improve the burial ground just East of Greenwood on the Humphreys Highway. Five acres of ground, south of the present cemetery have been purchased by the Odd Fellows and will be used as a burial park.
The trustees, H. G. Kitchell, Charles Christensen and G. H. D. White have become members of the National Association of Cemetery Superintendents. Their plan is to make the cemetery a perpetual kept burial park.
Work will be commenced on the grounds within ten days. Three thousand dollars will be spent in beautifying the land: the setting out of shrubbery and flowers and putting it into first class condition. The work will probably not be completed before February.
From The Commonwealth, October 20, 1920