The handsome, new Leflore Theatre, erected by the Paramount, which has been under construction for the past several weeks will be formally opened on Wednesday of next week, it was announced by Harry Marchand, manager.
The new theatre, the handsomest and best appointed movie house in Mississippi, is located at the intersection of West Washington and Fulton streets. It is of brick construction, veneered with concrete, two hundred feet in length, and handsomely equipped throughout. Comfortable seats of airform rubber with plenty of room are arranged for the patrons, and nothing has been left undergone for the comfort and convenience of the people attending the new theatre.
Air conditioned throughout, and built especially for sound pictures, the new theatre marks a new era in theatre construction, and is a credit to the company and the community.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, April 11, 1942
The Leflore Theatre, Greenwood's latest addition in moving picture entertainment, will open to the public Wednesday afternoon, April 15 at 2 o'clock.
Inaugural program for the occasion will be Henry Fonda, Olivia DeHaviland and Joan Leslie in "The Male Animal", with added attractions of cartoon in color and latest world news events.
Owned by Paramount-Richards, Inc., the Leflore will offer the latest in modern equipment. From marquee to stage, the new theatre glistens with the best that money can buy in the way of equipment and decorations. It has been compared on equal terms with the finest of picture houses in the South.
Prominent in the design of the Leflore Theatre is the coloring of its decorative scheme. Indian art was followed closely as possible in the colors adopted. This is shown in the tall "totem pole" effect of the front although the Choctaws failed to include this feature in their tribal structures.
The lobby or foyer also features the bold colors of the Indian art in the deep carpets leading into the standee area. The design reflects the old with the new as the murals depict activities of the Delta in its industrial and agricultural undertakings and scenic reproductions. The walls also portray solidarity of the North and South American continents in the design of the paneling.
The standee area is indirectly lighted and the openings will be curtained and decorated in the latest styling.
With a seating capacity around one thousand, the auditorium is 125 feet long. Contrasting colors, typical of the Indian race, decorate the walls and ceiling.
American animal life is also shown in eight wood carvings as wall decorations in animals familiar to the Indians of the early days. The buffalo is among them and it is stated that this animal once roamed east of the Mississippi River.
The seating in the theatre has been well spaced for comfort of the tallest and stoutest. Air form cushions are used to further provide for complete relaxation.
The screen is an innovation in local circles and a larger picture will be reproduced.
Sound equipment is the newest from the RCA laboratories and the projection is made by the Brenkert Corporation.
Perfect air-conditioning has been installed throughout the theatre.
Lighting is fluorescent type and used in all phases, both direct and indirect.
The Leflore Theatre boasts of 400,000 cubic feet of space in its 50 x 172 foot dimensions.
Designed by T. Cooper Van Antwerp, architect of Mobile, with J. T. Knight, member of Knight, Barrow and Lentz, New Orleans, as collaborators and engineers, the building was erected by I. C. Garber, contractor of Jackson. J. D. Lanham of Greenwood was the contractor for electrical and mechanical installations.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, April 14, 1942