Lee Funeral Home
Lee Funeral Home
The Lee Undertaking Company will open a funeral home in Greenwood about June 15th, it was announced yesterday by Mr. Guy T. Lee, of Carrollton, who was in the city for the purpose of completing the final arrangements for the opening.
The building at 100 East Church Street has been remodeled for the purpose of use by the undertaking company.
Mr. George R. Overman, an embalmer and funeral director of long experience, is associated with Mr. Lee, and will be in active management of the parlors here.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, June 3, 1926
Lee Undertaking Company, Greenwood's new funeral home, opened for business today. The firm is located at 100 East Church Street, at the corner of Main Street. The business will be under the direct management of B. F. Lee and George R. Overman. Mr. Overman is an experienced embalmer and funeral director.
The home will be open day and night, and will specialize in ambulance service.
The formal opening will be announced later.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, June 21, 1926
Lee Funeral Home has purchased a new Henny Progress ambulance, one of the finest made, to add to their motor equipment. F.L. Pybas, of the Lee Undertaking Co., drove the ambulance from Freeport, Illinois to Greenwood.
The Heeny ambulance is equipped with a heater, electric fan, two attendants chairs and the latest equipment in the way of comfort and ease of riding.
This new piece of equipment is one of the finest in the Delta.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, November 5, 1934
Mr. Hollis W. Knight is a newcomer to Greenwood, where he is connected with the Lee Undertaking Company. Mr. Knight was formerly with the Wells Funeral Home of Greenville. He is a graduate of Gupton-Jones School of Embalming of Nashville.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, August 1, 1935
Announcement is made today of the change in name and addition to the Lee Funeral Home, which will be known in the future as Lee-Knight Funeral Home. H. W. Knight is the new member of the firm, with L. J. Kerr, bookkeeper, and H. R. Alexander, licensed embalmer, completing the staff.
Mr. Kerr has been associated for a number of years with C. W. Telfair Company. Mr. Alexander, formerly of Grenada, is a graduate of Gupton- Jones School of Embalming in Nashville, Tenn.
Lee-Knight Funeral Home is affiliated with the Mississippi Benefit Association, and patrons of the establishment are assured of the same courteous, efficient and sympathetic service which has, for eleven years, been a policy of Lee Funeral Home.
Lee-Knight Funeral Home has the most modern and complete equipment, and with the addition of Mr. Alexander, now has two licensed embalmers. The establishment offers to Greenwood and the surrounding territory an improved service, and accepts ambulance calls twenty-four hours a day.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, November 1, 1937
The management of Lee-Knight Funeral Home is today announcing the addition of a large and beautifully equipped chapel, which is now open to the inspection of the public.
The building at Main and Church has been remodeled and several rooms thrown together to form the chapel, one of the largest and most complete in the Mississippi Delta. The chapel has a seating capacity of 200, including the family pew and choir, and has new and most appropriate furnishings throughout. The rooms are darkened with Venetian blinds and heavy blue drapes and indirect lighting is used exclusively.
Lee-Knight Funeral Home is offering this added and improved service to their patrons at no additional cost.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, March 5, 1938
As Lee Funeral Homes passes its 23 years of sympathetic and efficient service to the people of Greenwood and surrounding areas, their facilities have been enlarged as they move into their spacious quarters at 400 West Washington Street.
Everything has been planned and designed to serve as an establishment in its position as a recognized leader in funeral services at its new location and a color scheme of the interior has been adopted as maroon and blue in all of its various rooms.
A beautiful funeral chapel occupies one part of the building with a private living room assigned as a living room for the bereaved family and adjoining the chapel. A private room adjoining the chapel has also been made for the family for use during the funeral services.
Another room has been designed for keeping of bodies until funeral arrangements are completed.
Forming a part of the chapel and separated from the main room is a secluded room for the choir and music.
A private office has been arranged separate from the main business office for the transaction of affairs without interruption of other routines.
An added feature to the new funeral home is a storeroom for flowers and other items for funeral services.
In the preparation room, every modern piece of equipment is employed, even to the ultra-violet ray lamp to dispel any odor and neutralize all danger of germs.
The display room for caskets has been built and houses a complete stock at all times for the insured customers as well as those who desire to buy the finest for departed loved ones.
Houses in the building and easily accessible for all calls and demands are the three ambulances used by Lee Funeral Home.
All in all Lee Funeral Home can boast of as fine a home and service to be found anywhere.
The personnel of the Lee Funeral Home includes Mrs. B.F. Lee and L.J. Kerr, owners; E.A. Davenport, embalmer and funeral director; F.L. Pybas, insurance representative; Eugene F. Johnson, assistant embalmer; Mrs. W.W. Roland, office manager. An invitation is extended the public to visit the funeral home and see what service, sincerely and all partially means.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, December 7, 1946