Mr. Kitchell's New Buildings
Contractor Harvey has a good force at work on the erection of Mr. H. G. Kitchell's new brick buildings on Carrollton Ave. The corner store will be 50x100 and the next one 25x100. The upstairs will be used for lodging apartments, which will be handsomely fitted up.
From The Commonwealth, July 14, 1905
Mr. G. W. Chenoweth has been awarded the contract for the interior furnishings of the new Kitchell building, soon to be erected on Carrollton Avenue. The brick work will be done by Mr. Harvey of Carrollton. This structure will front 75 feet on Carrollton Avenue and will be two stories high.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, July 21, 1905
The new Kitchell building on Carrollton Avenue will soon be completed. It will be one of the best business structures in the city, while the second floor has been nicely fitted up for roomers.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, October 20, 1905
The Kitchell Hotel has had a big run of business since it opened its doors, and the proprietor has found it necessary to move the office, dining room and kitchen down stairs and convert all of the second floor into bedrooms.
Elegant office fixtures, a fine piano and other up-to-date furniture have been put in and the place has the appearance of a city hotel.
Mr. Kitchell informs The Commonwealth that he contemplates adding a third story to the building during the coming summer in order to accommodate the increasing demands on the hotel.
Since converting the whole building into a hotel, the rates have been increased to $2.00 per day and the very best service will be given.
From The Commonwealth, March 16, 1906
The new Kitchell Hotel is crowded to its full capacity, which prompts Mr. H. G. Kitchell to make the announcement that a third story will be added to the structure before the beginning of another business season.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, March 17, 1906
Mr. H. G. Kitchell has leased the Kitchell Hotel to Mr. N. D. West, of Indianapolis, and Mrs. Blanche E. Leonard, of Memphis, who assumed charge of same on the 15th inst. The lessees are hotel people of extensive experience and thoroughly understand the business. The Commonwealth welcomes them to our city and wishes for them success in conducting this popular hotel. Mr. Kitchell found that he could not give proper attention to his Delta Machine Works and the hotel, too, hence, he decided to lease the latter.
From The Commonwealth, September 21, 1906
Mr. H. G. Kitchell has sold the Kitchell Hotel property to Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Mothershed, of Tupelo, and they will take charge of the property on the 4th day of next September.
The Kitchell Hotel is first-class property, and the terms of the sale were satisfactory to all parties concerned.
Mr. and Mrs. Mothershed thoroughly understand the hotel business and have made a success in that line at other places. They will give the business here their personal attention, and propose to improve the service in a great many respects.
The Commonwealth joins our people in extending them a most cordial welcome to Greenwood and wishes for them much success.
From The Commonwealth, April 24, 1914
The Kitchell Hotel changed hands Thursday, Joe Stein, who has operated the place for the past three or four years, retiring, W. A. Mothershed, formerly of Tupelo, taking charge.
It is understood Mr. Mothershed has bought the property from H. G. Kitchell, but as the deed has not been recorded, the purchase price is not known. The building goes over to the new management with all the furnishings and fixtures that it had under the old management.
Mr. Mothershed has been in the hotel business for a number of years and has a host of friends among the traveling men who are congratulating him on having chosen such a live city as Greenwood as the place for continuing his business.
Accompanying the new manager is his wife and one son. They will make their home in the hotel. Mr. Stein and his family have moved into his home on Washington Street, formerly occupied by Mrs. J. H. Creegan.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, September 14, 1914
Humphries & McGinnis, local contractors, have begun work on the erection of a twenty-room addition to the Kitchell Hotel, and will complete the improvements within the next sixty days.
The additions will consist of a two-story annex on the north end of this popular hostelry, facing east on Walthall Street. These additional rooms will be large and comfortable, with modern conveniences such as baths, closets, etc., and will greatly enlarge the accommodating capacity of the hotel.
Manager Mothershed and his popular hotel are enjoying a splendid patronage, and many improvements in its service have been made since he and his good wife took charge of the Kitchell Hotel. The twenty-room addition will cost around $8000 when completed.
From The Commonwealth, March 24, 1916
The Kitchell Hotel, owned by Mr. F. A. Greenlee of Columbus, Miss., was sold today to Mr. L. Weiner of Greenwood. The purchase price was approximately $60,000.
Mr. Wiener will have the building overhauled and repaired at once and it will be put in a first class condition. Mr. Ford, who is now operating the hotel, has a two-year lease on the building and will continue to occupy same.
The deal was made through the Greenwood Agency Co.
From The Commonwealth, November 5, 1919
Dinty Moore, well-known restaurateur of Clarksdale, has secured the Weiner Hotel Cafe, and will conduct this business in Greenwood. He is one of the best known and most successful cafe men in Mississippi, and his connection with this splendidly appointed caf`e assures a place of the leading character in every respect.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, February 4, 1927
Fire originating from crossed wires in the attic of the Weiner Hotel for a time last night threatened destruction to the two-story building on Carrollton Avenue.
A blaze burned a space some forty feet square between the ceiling and the roof in the center of the building and except for the efficient battling of the fire boys would have spread quickly through the building.
Battling in the two-foot space between the ceiling and the roof, the firemen fought a great handicap in preventing the spread of the flames.
Actual damage was held to a minimum but several rooms and a hallway were damaged by water and falling plaster.
As a precautionary measure, a line of hose and several firemen were held at a building all night to prevent a possible recurrence of the fire.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, August 13, 1932