Mr. H. Reiman has let the contract to Contractor Reese to build him a two-story hotel on Front Street , adjoining his present location. We understand this is to be a well-gotten up home, with large rooms well furnished and all the modern conveniences. Mr. Reiman has built up a good trade here and knows how to cater to the public in the hotel line. We predict for him fine success.
From the Yazoo Valley Flag, February 3, 1889
Wednesday night the arrival of the fire fiend was announced by a salvo of pistol shots, the ring of bells and blowing of whistles, the Reiman House was found to be on fire. In less time than it takes to tell it, the house was enveloped in flames. Fortunately, a stiff breeze was blowing down the river away from the business portion of the town, or the loss might have been much heavier.
The flames were communicated from the Reiman House to Rush & Gardner's law offices, thence to the houses owned by J. D. Attlesey, J. T. Terry and Coleman & McClurg's office.
The fire originated in the room over the office in the second story, and must have been from a defective flue. Mrs. Reiman had just about finished repairing and repainting the building and last week has an artesian well sunk.
The Reiman House was the most popular hotel between Memphis and Vicksburg. Mrs. Reiman, assisted by her son Harry and two charming and accomplished daughters, had made her hotel the most popular one that was ever in Greenwood. Her loss is heavy. She has the hearty sympathy of The Flag.
The loss was:
Reiman House and furniture, $14,500, insurance, $5,000; insurance in Peteet's agency, $3,500, in Austin's, $1,500; Rush & Gardner, $1,000, no insurance; J.D. Attlesey, $3,500, no insurance; Coleman & McClurg, $1,000, no insurance; L. P. Yerger was damaged in moving, $200, no insurance; Price & Edmonston, damaged in moving, $200, John Killingsworth, $150, no insurance.
From The Delta Flag, March 12, 1897
Mrs. Reiman and family request THE ENTERPRISE to thank their friends and acquaintances for the many kindnesses shown them in their recent misfortune. They propose to erect a forty room, two story brick hotel on the grounds formerly occupied by the old one just as soon as the work can possibly be done. They hope to be able to get into their new house by the 10th of December next.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, March 19, 1897
Our energetic, hustling hotelkeeper, Mrs. Reiman, assisted by her clever son, Harry, and her charming daughters, Misses Flora and Esther, is temporarily located in the dwelling formerly owned by Mrs. Selliger, lately purchased by our brother editor, J. L. Gillespie. Many of Mrs. Reiman's former patrons have already found her and the drummers, especially, seem to be highly pleased that they can again stop at the Reiman House, even though it be on a smaller scale. We trust Mrs. Reiman will do a good business, and that we may soon be able to congratulate her on the completion of the Hotel de Reiman.
From The Delta Flag, May 7, 1897
The contract for the erection of the new Reiman House was let last Saturday to Contractor W. O. Glass, of Yazoo City. The building is to erected on the site of the former one, will contain fifty rooms, is to cost about $10,000, will be 2 ½ stories high and strictly up-to-date in every particular. Mr. Glass will endeavor to begin work on the building on or about the 13th.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, June 11, 1897
Contractor Glass began the work, this week, of clearing away the rubbish from the site of the old Reiman House, preparatory to putting up the new building. He has a good force of hands at work, and in a short while the building will begin to go up.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, June 18, 1897
Work on the Reiman House is being rapidly pushed, and the building is fast assuming all the appearance of an up-to-date hotel.
From The Delta Flag, July 16, 1897
A Commonwealth representative rambled through the new Reiman House one day this week under the guidance of Mr. R. I. Humphries, under whose able supervision, a pile of debris has, in three months, been changed as by the aid of an Aladdin lamp into one of the finest hotels in the state.
The new hotel is simply a model of convenience and comfort. With 37 commodious rooms it can accommodate a large number of guests. The dining room will present a grand appearance, lined, as it is to be, with mirrors on all sides. The sanitary conditions cannot be surpassed, bath and toilet rooms located on both floors. Throughout the building will be illuminated by electricity.
The hotel will be ready for occupancy by the first of October, at which time, Greenwood will be able to boast of having the most comfortable hotel in Mississippi.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, September 9, 1897
Architect R. H. Hunt, of Chattanooga, Tenn., has just completed the plans and specifications for a large and commodious addition to Hotel Reiman. In fact, the entire building is to be remodeled and enlarged throughout. A third story will be added, which will provide twenty four additional rooms, all to be equipped with connecting baths, steam heat and other modern conveniences. The first and second floors will be remodeled throughout, so as to conform to the modern conception of an up-to-date hotel. The dining room will be doubled in size and the halls and parlors will be enlarged in proportion. Fire escapes and other necessary additions will be made to guarantee safety and comfort.
The contract for these additions will be let now in a few weeks and it is expected that the work of construction will begin some time during next month. The additional story will give the Reiman a capacity of sixty rooms, and it is safe to say that it will not be larger than present requirements actually demand. The growing importance of Greenwood and the increasing trade of the hotel has made the enlargement necessary.
The new Reiman will be one of the finest hotels in the State, a credit to the city and to it's proprietors.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, March 12, 1904
W. O. Glass of Yazoo City, has been awarded the contract for erecting a third story to Hotel Reiman in this city. This is already one of the largest and best appointed hostelries in this section of the State and the addition of another story will give it sixty rooms with baths and accommodations for nearly a hundred guests. The halls and dining room will also be greatly enlarged and improved.
Frequently during the winter months the two hotels were crowded beyond their capacity and travelers were forced to seek accommodation in private families. The growth of the city makes better hotel accommodations imperative and it is consequently very gratifying that the Reiman is preparing to meet the demands of the public.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, April 30, 1904
Mrs. R. Reiman has leased her hotel known as the Reiman House to Mr. J. Wallace Wheeler of Birmingham, Ala. Mr. Wheeler has been connected with the Tutwiler Hotel of Birmingham for several years and comes to Greenwood highly recommended. He has many friends among the traveling men and will assume charge of the hotel on January 1, 1922.
Mrs. Reiman and her family have been residents of Greenwood for many years and her hotel has been considered one of the best-kept places in the country and known as the home of many traveling men, who call her "Mother". It is gratifying to the many friends of Mrs. Reiman and her daughters to know they will remain in Greenwood. They expect to erect a modern home on the lots on Washington Street recently purchased by them from Mrs. A. M. Craig.
From The Commonwealth, November 9, 1921
Mr. J. W. Wheeler, proprietor of the Reiman Hotel, has booked thru E. W. MacDonald, the "Midnite Serenaders", of Chicago, where this orchestra has been playing big time vaudeville as well as specializing on dance music.
This organization is made up of high-class young men capable of playing for any sort of entertainment. They will make the Reiman Hotel their headquarters and will furnish high-class entertainment during the lunch and dinner hours.
Messrs. Harold Smith at trombone; Walter Shrever, saxophones and clarinet; Garnett Armstrong, banjo and ukulele; Forrest Able, helicorn bass; and Billy Conklin at drums, compose the orchestra.
From The Greenwood Daily Commonwealth, April 9, 1925
Mr. and Mrs. Scott Crull have taken over the lease of the Reiman Hotel and after January 15th, will have charge of this popular hostelry.
Mrs. Crull, for a number of years, has conducted a boarding house at the corner of Fulton and Washington streets and has an enviable reputation for the splendid meals she serves.
The traveling public is assured the same splendid meals and accommodations that have always been accorded her boarders and the Reiman Hotel, under the new management, will be one of the outstanding and best patronized hotels in the city.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, January 10, 1928
The Reiman Hotel is now under new management, Mrs. Scott Crull, the new lessee, having moved in today, with the announcement of formal opening of the dining room on next Sunday, January 22nd.
The hotel has been completely remodeled and repaired and Mrs. Crull will be prepared to care for the traveling public comfortably. She has had years of experience, having conducted one of the foremost boarding houses of the city, and she has a reputation for splendid meals that cannot be excelled.
The Reiman Hotel, under the new management, will rank as one of the leading hotels of the city.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, January 20, 1928
A completely new and larger hotel, modern in every respect, with 110 rooms, will grow out of the present Reiman Hotel structure, shortly after the beginning of the New Year. Work on the building will begin as soon as the plans and specifications are completed.
The Reiman Hotel property was sold yesterday by Misses Esther and Flora Reiman to Max Williams, the transfer of the property being completed yesterday afternoon. Mr. Williams will take possession of the property as soon as the present lease expires on January 1, and will close the building for the remodeling and extensions contemplated.
Under plans, which are now in course of preparation, the present three story structure will be raised another flight, the building completely remodeled and enlarged and sixty more rooms added, giving the new hotel 110 rooms. Every room will be equipped with bath, and every room will be an outside room. The building will be a handsome structure, and Mr. Williams intends to make it one of the most completely appointed and best equipped hotels in Mississippi.
No date can be set for the reopening of the newly modernized hotel, but the work will be pushed as rapidly as possible, and early in the New Year, the hotel will be ready to serve the traveling public.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, December 23, 1937
The Reiman Hotel, recently purchased by Max Williams, has been closed, and plans are in course of preparation by R. J. Moor, local architect for the construction and remodeling of the building.
Mr. Moor's plans will call for complete rebuilding of the hotel and the addition of sufficient rooms to bring the total rooms available to 110, with every modern convenience.
Construction work is expected to start as soon as the plans are completed.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, January 7, 1938
Bids for the construction of a five story annex to the Reiman Hotel and for completely remodeling the three story structure recently purchased by Max Williams, will be opened on February 17, it is announced by R. J. Moor, architect on the project.
The original date for receiving bids was set for February 10, but the time was extended for an additional week.
The following contracts are understood to be planning to subject bids for the general contract, but separate bids will be received for plumbing, heating and electrical work:
I.C. Garber & Son, Jackson; S. L. McGinnis, Greenwood; A. M. Allen, Moorhead; M. T. Reed Construction Company, Belzoni; J. R. Flint Construction Company, Jackson; Walter L. Perry Construction Co., Philadelphia; I. W. Havard, Canton.
The annex and remodeled building will contain eighty rooms with all modern appointments.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, February 12, 1938
Around the former Reiman Hotel this morning there was a rush of activity in preparation for the re-opening of the completely remodeled hotel on September 1, as the Greenwood Leflore Hotel.
Max Williams, owner, has completely remodeled the interior of the building, and it will afford excellent hotel accommodations.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, August 29, 1938
Greenwood's fine new hotel, Hotel Greenwood Leflore, will be formally opened for business here tomorrow, under the management of H. E. Burnett, formerly of Tupelo.
Hotel Greenwood Leflore, owned by M. M. Williams, is one of the state's most modern hotels and is one of only a few air-cooled hotels in the Tri- States. In the facilities of the hotel, nothing had been overlooked for the service, pleasure and comfort of the guests.
The Coffee Shop, not yet complete, is expected to be ready for service within the next few weeks. This, too, will be entirely new throughout and will afford an added convenience to the guests.
The interior of the hotel has been completely remodeled and everything possible provided for the comfort of the guests. Each room is equipped with closet space, and with tile bath, combination tub and shower of the most modern type. Year-round comfort of the guests is assured by the gas fired heating system and the air-cooling system, and in addition to the air-cooling system, each room is equipped with a ceiling fan.
Hotel Greenwood Leflore is equipped with new furnishings throughout. The solid maple bedroom suites of Greenwood Leflore design, were designed by Mrs. M. M. Williams, and manufactured especially for this hotel. Furniture for the lobby is chromium and blue leather, and the coffee shop is also being furnished in chromium.
All new innerspring mattresses and box springs have been installed, and a telephone, bed and desk light provided for each room.
The hotel is beautifully decorated throughout. Splendid taste is displayed in the selection of wallpaper and harmonizing floor coverings, bed spreads, draperies and occasional pieces of furniture.
Plans for remodeling Hotel Greenwood Leflore were designed by R. J. Moor, local architect; building material and supplies furnished by H. E. Crook Lumber Company; the heating, plumbing and air-cooling system were installed by J. D. Lanham; all of the wallpaper was bought from Stafford Paint and Wallpaper Company, and the draperies are from Fountain's Drapery Department.
An invitation is extended the public in general to make an inspection of Hotel Greenwood Leflore and it's magnificent appointments.