Mr. E. W. Hamilton, of Chicago, has been in the city several days arranging for the erection of three handsome brick buildings on Howard Street, where the Enterprise office now stands.
All of them will be two-story brick and stone structures of the most substantial character and will be an ornament to that part of the city.
The plans are now in the hands of contractors and it is probable that the contract will awarded today.
From The Commonwealth, August 27, 1904
The old Enterprise office has been torn down and work on the new Hamilton block will begin in a few days. The store next to the alley will be occupied by Mr. C. I. Stein as a jewelry store and will be one of the prettiest places in the city. The room adjoining the Greenwood Hotel will be occupied by the Enterprise, while the middle one has not yet been rented.
From The Commonwealth, October 1, 1904
The LaSalle Café, the newest and latest café, will open for business at 220 Howard Street tomorrow morning at 10:00 o'clock. This new café will be operated by Dinty Moore of Greenwood, Mississippi and will be in charge of T. J. Wright of this city. Mr. Moore is well known throughout the Delta for the delightful meals that he serves. Mr. Moore has operated cafes in several cities of the Delta.
The LaSalle café is located in the heart of the business district of the city. This makes it a convenient spot for the out of town shoppers or visitors that will desire a short snappy meal. Mr. Moore has not spared the cost in remodeling this building and installing the very best equipment in this new café. The entire building is going through the final touching up today in preparation for the opening tomorrow. Nothing has been spared in making this café one of the best eating places in the city.
The watchword of the LaSalle Café is Service. Service here will be constant. This will be an ideal place for a full lunch or for just something to munch. If you are rushed, the service here is speedy and satisfying. The delightful delicacies served here are tasty and refreshing and contribute toward making dining here an event of enjoyment.
Mr. Moore has employed the very best cooks available over the country to prepare the meals that will be served at the delightful retreat. A splendid menu will be ready for your convenience at all times of the day and night.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, December 19, 1928
The LaSalle Café, located at 220 Howard Street, was completely destroyed by fire last night about two oéclock when discovered by the night watchman on one of his rounds.
The Fire Department arrived on the scene a few minutes after the alarm was turned in and the flames from the fire were coming out the front of the building. The entire insides of the building and all the fixtures were destroyed by the flames before the firemen arrived.
The building is located in close quarters of the business district and endangered the entire block before it was brought under control. The causes of the fire are undetermined; the blaze seemed to have started in the center of the building and burned to the front. The loss is partly covered by insurance. The LaSalle Café was recently opened for business and was owned and operated by Dinty Moore of this city.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, February 26, 1929
Pat B. Thomas has moved his paint shop from the alley back of Weilerés to the building formerly occupied by the LaSalle Café on Howard Street. Mr. Thomas has in this location a complete line of paints and varnishes of the very best known and nationally advertised brands. The store is modern and up-to-date and is everything that a real paint store should be. Mr. Thomas has had a paint shop and repair department on the alley for a number of years. His friends are glad to see him "come out of the alley."
His wood working establishment is maintained on the alley, however.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, June 24, 1929
After occupying the building on the corner of Washington and Fulton streets for the past three years as a home, the Y. M. C. A. is today moving its office to the second floor of the Hamilton Building on Howard Street.
This move will in no way interfere with the program the Association is putting on for the boys of our city and county, as all activities can and will be directed from the new office under the leadership of Secretary Richter.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, July 1, 1929
Dr. J. D.Mamelli will on Thursday, March 12, open his new optical shop to the public. Dr. Mamelli's new business venture is located in the Hamilton Building, next to Chandler's Drug Store and the remodeling of the building has been in progress for the past month.
The interior of the building has been made into an object of natural art designed by Mr. Mamelli, and Dr.Mamelli has outfitted it with every new invention in the optical line.
Dr. Mamelli for the past fifteen years has been connected with the A. Weiler & Company, and is well known to the public of Greenwood and this territory.
His new place of business will be fully equipped to take care of jewelry, watch repairing and picture framing, at which he is an expert.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, March 10, 1931