Edward Jones Investments
Edward Jones Investments
Peteet Brothers and W. C. George & Co. will build two stores of brick two stories high, on northeast corner of Market and Howard Streets. Work will commence as soon as material can arrive.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, May 1, 1890
The Cumberland Telephone & Telegraph Company has closed a lease with D. C. Peteet & Bro. for the entire second floor of their building located at the corner of Howard and Market streets, with front entrance on Howard Street.
Mr. Lee Farrell, local manager, states that his company expects to make Greenwood one of the state's banner exchanges, and that the contractors will commence work on remodeling the building just as soon as material can be placed upon the ground, contract for some having already been let.
Eighteen months ago, the Cumberland Company put Mr. Lee Farrell here as manager and Mr. L. L. Billups as cashier, at that time the company was giving free service to about 300 subscribers in the county, today they are giving free service to something over 700 subscribers.
The service, both local and long distance, is the best in the history of the Cumberland Telephone Company at this place.
From The Greenwood Enterprise, June 16, 1906
D. C. Peteet and Brother have moved.
A very singular statement, but nevertheless a true one.
After 37 years of merchandising in their store on the northeast corner of Howard and Market Sts., this firm has moved into the Dantone Building beside the Sanitary Barber Shop.
The reason for this shift was occasioned by the sale of their building to the American Telephone and Telegraph Company six weeks ago.
This firm was established by Mr. D. C. Peteet and Arch Peteet in 1889 and their first store house was on the site of the First National Bank. This burned down in 1890 and in the fall of that year, they built and moved into the building which they just vacated, making 37 years in which they sold merchandise over the counters under one roof.
In their new quarters, everything is hotsy-totsy, with paint gleaming from all sides, new fixtures, and plenty of room. They are ready to serve their patrons even better than ever now and ask them to drop around and look over their new quarters and inspect the stock.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, May 30, 1927
Starting Thursday, D. C. Peteet and Bro., one of Greenwood's leading men's furnishings store, will celebrate their forty-second anniversary. Peteet's is Greenwood's oldest business firm. It was established in 1888 by Arch and D. C. Peteet, and until the untimely death of D. C. Peteet, remained under the founder's direct management.
Since that time, the store has been most capably managed by Arch Peteet, Jr., son of the remaining living partner who continues to have an active part in the business.
The history of Peteet's reads like the history of Greenwood, both are intermingled and each has shown rapid progress within the past decade. The two young brothers first opened their store in a frame building at the site where the cotton exchange is now housed. This new business that opened its doors in the spring of 1888 was the first business ever to be located off the riverfront. The two boys showed an unusual talent for their chosen life's work and made rapid progress until the fatal fall of 1890 when a disastrous fire gave them somewhat of a setback. But not to be outdone by fate, they immediately ordered fresh stocks and moved to the corner of Riverfront and Fulton into a frame building located on the site where the building now occupied by the L. F. Hamrick Motor Company stands. This building was occupied for a short interval while workmen were constructing the brick building on the corner of Market and Howard. This brick building that was being constructed was the second brick structure for Greenwood, a busting, hustling city of about 2,500 happy persons at that early date.
As soon as the new building was completed, D.C. and arch Peteet again moved their business and from old citizens we learn that they held a gala opening, although no sale prices prevailed as the first sale ever offered by Greenwood's oldest firm, D. C. Peteet and Bros., was offered last November.
The business continued to grow under the capable management of the two young men, until the present day, it is known as one of the most complete stocked men's store in the Delta. From 1890 until 1927, the location remained at the corner of Howard and Market, then it was moved to its present location at 206 Howard Street.
Many American manufacturers can look back at the first accounts on their books and find the name D. C. Peteet and Bro., Greenwood, Miss. For instance, last year Nettleton Shoe Company, manufacturing one of America's leading brands of fine footwear for men, celebrated their Golden Anniversary, for forty-two of these fifty years, Peteet's have sold Nettleton shoes. Peteet's have sold Wilson Bros. Haberdashery for the full forty-two years since their entrance into the business world.
It was the policy of Peteet's to get a good line of merchandise when they first opened their doors and to stay with it. They have followed this policy very closely. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that their goals have been mastered so easily.
The big Forty-Second Anniversary Event will open Thursday morning, and Arch Peteet,Jr., now actively in charge of the store that was founded almost a half century ago by his Father and Uncle, tells us that he has spared no effort in restocking the store throughout with special values in nationally known lines of merchandise at special prices. It is the ambition of the manager of the store to do the largest volume in the entire history of the firm during this three-day period.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, April 1, 1930