H. and A. Dahmer, late of Okolona, have bought the bakery of E. Seelbinder & Co., on Market Street. The writer is personally acquainted with these gentlemen and we take pleasure in recommending them to our people. They will add materially to our community.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, February 13, 1890
Mr. F. R. Austin's proposition to erect a new and modern post office building on the southeast corner of Market and Fulton street, diagonally across from the new courthouse, has been accepted by the Post Office Department, and a contract for five years has been signed by "Uncle Sam" for same.
The new building is to be three stories high, with all modern conveniences, of brick and stone, according to plans and specifications submitted by the Department. The second and third stories will be arranged for offices for professional men, while the first floor will be used exclusively for the post office.
The contract for the new building will be let in a few days, as the contract with the Government requires that it be completed and ready for occupancy by the 1st of November next.
From The Commonwealth, August 25, 1905
Ground will be broken this week for Greenwood's handsome new post office building, to be erected at the corner of Market and Fulton streets.
The old sheet iron structure, formerly occupied by Phillip's plumbing shop, has been demolished.
There will be general rejoicing among the employees when the new structure is ready for occupancy, as the present quarters are entirely inadequate for present needs.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, October 27, 1905
Mr. T. H. Holmes has opened a first-class meat market in the rear of the post office building on Fulton Street. He handles Kansas City meats exclusively and solicits a share of the public patronage.
From The Commonwealth, May 25, 1906
Hon. W. M. Whittington has bought from Mr. F. R. Austin the present post office building on Market Street, the consideration being $7,000. This property is admirably located, and the price at which Mr. Whittington bought it was a bargain. The building is one of the handsomest and most substantial on the street, and he contemplates adding another story to the structure in the near future.
From The Commonwealth, April 25, 1913
W. M. Whittington has rented the lower floor of his building at the corner of Fulton and West Market streets, formerly the post office, to B. Moore, of North Greenwood, and the latter will open a grocery business there early in November under the firm style of B. Moore & Son.
J. Gordon Gillespie and W. J. Patrick, who had temporary law offices in the building, will vacate early next week. Mr. Patrick will move into offices over Raines' drug store, now occupied by Alfred Stoner, who is soon to return to Colorado. Mr. Gillespie has yet settled on a location.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, October 16, 1914
Mr. B. Moore has opened an up-to-date staple and fancy grocery store in the Whittington building, at the corner of West Market and Fulton streets, where a complete line of choice groceries will be handled at reasonable prices. Mr. Moore's sons, Messrs. E. D. and E. N. Moore, are in charge of the store, and they will give prompt and careful attention to the filling of all orders. These young men will be pleased to have one and all call and inspect the stock of the Court Square Grocery.
From the Greenwood Daily Commonwealth, November 6, 1914
Work of remodeling the Whittington Building at the corner of Market and Fulton streets is underway under the direction of F. R. McGeoy, architect. On the completion of the work of remodeling, the building will be occupied by the Auto Sales Company, the local Studebaker Agency.
From The Greenwood Daily Commonwealth, March 13, 1926
Work of remodeling the Whittington Building on West Market Street is now well underway. An addition in the rear of the building, along the Fulton Street side, is being erected, and concrete flooring is being placed on the first floor. The building is occupied by the Magnolia Motor Company, Flowers Hamrick, manager, local Hupmobile dealers, who are domiciled while the remodeling work is in progress, in the new Gardner Building on Lamar Street.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, October 21, 1926
Finishing touches are being made in the remodeling of the Whittington Building, at the corner of Market and Fulton streets, and the building will be completed within a short time now.
The remodeling work, when completed, will make of this building one of the handsomest in the city.
Practically the entire building has been rebuilt, and an extensive addition made to the building on its Fulton street side. The outer walls have been rebuilt of face brick, replacing the former brick walls, a heating plant has been installed, show windows of unusual extent have been included, and tile floors added on the ground floor.
The work has been carried on without disturbing the occupants of the upper floor.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, February 24, 1927
One of the most beautiful show rooms for automobiles in Greenwood is the new home of the Magnolia Motor Co., in the Whittington Building, corner of Market and Fulton streets. The handsome show rooms are designed especially for the Magnolia Company, of which Flowers Hamrick is the manager. A wide expanse of plate glass windows on both the Market and Fulton Street sides of the building afford a splendid feature of the handsome new Hupmobiles on display, and the interior finishing of the building is in thorough keeping with the beautiful cars.
The building is just completed and many visitors since the opening day Wednesday have admired both cars and the building.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, March 5, 1927
The Court Square Grocery opened for business yesterday and the visitors to the store have spared no praise in declaring it one of the most beautifully appointed and equipped grocery stores in Mississippi. An inspection of the handsome store finds a splendid display of foodstuffs attractively arranged and a most sanitary modern grocery and meat market.
Mr. Carroll Curtiss, for many years connected with the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, as manager of one of the A & P Stores in New Orleans, is the operator of the store. That Mr. Curtiss thoroughly understands the grocery business is attested by those who have visited the store since its opening. He has won many friends since his arrival in the city.
Those who have not yet visited this fine store are invited to do so today. There's a pleasant and appetizing surprise awaiting them and they will join in welcoming the store and its manager as a part of the business and social life of Greenwood.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, November 27, 1929