The J. Z. George Chapter U. D. C. and the Woman's Club of Greenwood will dedicate the Confederate Memorial Building on April 15. The citizens of Leflore County and their guests are invited. Confederate veterans and Confederate women are especially invited to attend.
The dedicatory exercises will be at eleven o'clock in the morning, beginning at the Washington Street entrance, and closing at the Henderson Street entrance of the building, corner of Washington and Henderson Streets. All ladies are invited to the auditorium of the building to hear addresses by Mrs. J. H. Price, President Mississippi Federation of Women's Clubs, and Mrs. Lillie Scales Slaughter, President Mississippi Division U. D. C., at three o'clock in the afternoon.
At 8 o'clock in the evening, all adult white citizens of Leflore County and their visitors are invited to a reception at the building. No written invitations to any of these will be sent in Leflore County, as this is the invitation to the citizens of the county.
From The Commonwealth, April 9, 1915<
The Confederate Memorial Building was dedicated yesterday and formally opened to the public. The services both morning and afternoon were well attended and very interesting, though there was much regret that the three distinguished ladies, Mrs. Stephens, Mrs. Slaughter and Mrs. Price, who were expected to be here and take part in the program, were all unable to come and sent telegrams at the last minute expressing their regret. The reception last night was not so well attended. The average man naturally shuns a reception unless he feels that his presence is expected. No individual invitations were sent, but a general invitation extended to all and the result was that very few men attended and the ladies were pretty well worn out with the exercises of the day.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, April 16, 1915
At one of the most delightful luncheons ever given in Greenwood, which was given by Mrs. Dr. T. R. Henderson at her palatial home on Tuesday at noon, the second anniversary of the Woman's Club, when eighty-five covers were laid, the fact was announced. Mrs. Henderson, the worthy president of the Woman's Club of Greenwood, made an interesting talk on "The Work and the Achievements of the Woman's Club", in which she stated that the Andrew Carnegie had agreed to give $10,000 toward the erection of a library in Greenwood, that the Mayor and Board of Aldermen of the city had assured a donation of $2,500 annually toward the maintenance of same, and that the Woman"s Club had raised the splendid sum of $10,000 for an Annex to the Carnegie Library, which will be called the Confederate Memorial Library, and which will add to the splendor of the edifice.
The site for the library has already been donated by Mrs. Dr. Henderson, and faces on the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Henderson Street, one of the prettiest locations in the city.
Other interesting talks made at the luncheon were on "Spinsters" by Miss Kate Steele, on "Mer" by Mrs. Lewis Humphrey, and a humorous sketch by Mrs. Bruce Brown. Among the prominent out-of-town guests was Mrs. Nellie Nugent Somerville of Greenville, president of the Mississippi Woman's Suffragette Association, who delivered an eloquent talk on "Woman's Clubs and Their Workings".
The Woman's Club has already started a circulating library, which is daily increasing in interest, and this splendid organization expects to see it assume greater proportions by the time the new Carnegie Library building is completed.
The erection of the Carnegie Library, with the Confederate Memorial Library Annex, will place Greenwood among the leading cities in the states in rank of library facilities.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, March 29, 1912
The ground is being cleared for the erection of the Confederate Memorial Library and actual construction work on the building will be one of the handsomest library buildings in the state and will be a credit to the city.
The erection of the building comes after much hard work on the part of the ladies of the J. Z. George Chapter U. D. C., who have given their best efforts toward the securing the funds necessary for the structure. Some time ago Mr. Carnegie was appealed to and contributed $10,000 for the purpose. Then the lot was secured and the plans took definite shape. A long delay over suitable plans have retarded the work to a great extent but at last this obstacle has been overcome and the speedy construction of the building will follow.
The library will stand at the corner of Washington and Henderson Streets, just opposite the Baptist Church.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, November 15, 1912
Attention has been called to an article appearing in the Enterprise some two weeks ago which stated that the new library would be a confederate memorial building. This was an error, as the library will be known as the Greenwood Public Library and it was on this condition that Mr. Carnegie made his donation.
The Confederate Memorial building will be erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy on an adjoining lot, and our reporter had confused the two in his mind. Construction work on both buildings will be commenced immediately.
From the Greenwood Enterprise, December 7, 1912
Harry Goodwill, the local ERA administrator, has received notification from Jackson that the project covering the painting of murals in the city library has received the approval of the State ERA office.
This work will be done by Miss Lalla Walker Lewis and will be started immediately.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, May 3, 1935