At a meeting of the City Council held last Thursday night, it was decided to advertise for bids for a handsome building to be occupied as a city hall.
The new building is to be a two-story brick structure and will be located on the lot now occupied by the old calaboose on East Market Street. This lot is 65x65 feet and the building will probably be the same size.
On the first floor will be located the offices of the Mayor, Marshal, City Clerk and Collector. The office of the waterworks, sewerage, and the light plants and the city jail will also be on this floor. The second floor will constitute a large and well-ventilated courtroom and Council chamber.
It is estimated that the new building will cost about $5,000 when completed. The location is one of the best in town, being directly on one of the principal streets. If the city should ever need a larger building on a larger lot, the structure can be easily transformed into an engine house or sold for business purposes.
The need of a City Hall has been apparent for some time and the acquisition of the waterworks, sewerage and light plants by the municipality has made it practically essential. The action of the Council will be approved by the taxpayers.
From the Greenwood Commonwealth, July 9, 1904
Negotiations were closed yesterday for the purchase of the Ed Bryan property on Main Street by the City of Greenwood. The purchase price is $20,500, of which $7,500 will be paid in cash and the remainder to be paid later.
The property is purchased for the purpose of erecting thereon a municipal building housing the entire administrative functions of the City of Greenwood, and it is understood that plans will be prepared for this building at an early date.
The property is situated at the corner of Main Street and Church Street, just east of the post office, and fronts 120 feet approximately on Main Street, and 146 feet on Church Street.
Negotiations for the purchase of a lot for the purpose of erecting a new city hall and administrative building have been underway for some time and several sites have been considered. The decision to purchase the Bryan site was reached this week and the final contract was closed yesterday afternoon.
It is understood that the city council will ratify the purchase at its next meeting, which will be held on March 5, and that the ordinance adopted at that meeting will remain on file for two weeks thereafter subject to public inspection.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, February 22, 1929
The old Ed Bryan home is being moved from the lot at the corner of Main and Church streets to the property belonging to the city in South Greenwood. The old home will be made into two residences to be used by employees of the city.
The lot from which the house is being moved was bought by the City of Greenwood and a new city hall will be erected on it at an early date. It is an ideal location for a city hall and one of the most up-to-date and expensive halls in the Delta will be built on the lot.
It is not known the exact date that construction will begin but will not be in the far distant future.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, July 6, 1929
With the moving of the fire department yesterday afternoon, all of the municipal departments of the city of Greenwood are now housed in the handsome new city hall just completed by Howell Bros. Construction Company.
Moving has been in progress for the past three days and all of the city attaches are today wearing the "smile that won't come off" as they greet visitors in their handsome new home.
The new city hall has commodious offices for the clerical department, the light and water plant, the street department, the police and engineering forces, and for the fire department. Jail facilities are provided and a courtroom is ready for the trial of cases. The Mayor and each of the commissioners have well appointed offices.
The building, located at the corner of Church and Main streets, is admirably situated with reference to the business sections of the city. The main entrance is on Church street, where the visitor is greeted by a sign bearing in the outline of a Greek Letter Delta, the legend, "Greenwood, Gateway of the Delta", and in the center of the letter, a bale of cotton.
The design was suggested by Mrs. Latham Ray in a contest suggested by the Greenwood Commonwealth for the best practical design typifying Greenwood. The offices open off from the entrance hall.
The upstairs contains an auditorium, an office for the Associated Charities, a laboratory for the health department, which will be used as the state laboratory for Northern Mississippi.
The fire department entrance is on Main street, with quarters on the second story for the firemen.
The building was designed by R. J. Moor, Greenwood architect.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, November 1, 1930
Greenwood's city park is being rapidly placed in condition by the city's street forces for the summer months.
The former wading pool has been deepened and turned into a lily pool. This change was made because of the difficulty of keeping a growth out of the pool which made the bottom too slick for safety of the children.
The lily pool will be arranged by the ladies of the Greenwood Garden Club who will also undertake a general campaign of beautification of the park, and from the membership of which will be selected a park commission.
Several places in the park are being filled in. The old houses of the zoo are gone, and tennis courts have been erected for the use of the children.
Several years ago lights were strung through the park, and it is hoped this year that the summer program of band concerts may be given in the park.
From The Greenwood Commonwealth, April 30, 1931